Everyone wants clean, sanitary floors in their business or workspace. But, often, in trying to get floors clean we actually do more harm than good. Why? Because some of the most common floor cleaners and disinfectants have harmful and damaging side effects to your space and, even, to people in your space. What to consider before grabbing that disinfectant?
ARE THE CHEMICALS MAKING BACTERIA STRONGER?
Believe it or not, some chemicals found in cleaners and disinfectants can actually make bacteria stronger and harder to tackle. Biocides, for example, are used in low level in many disinfectants to kill microbes. However, these components can make bacteria such as Staphylococcus aureus—a common cause of infections and, even, MRSA—increasingly biocide-resistant. And this can make killing harmful microbes harder and harder.
ARE ANY INGREDIENTS HAZARDOUS TO YOUR HEALTH?
Some disinfectants include toxic chemicals and components. While, on the surface, they may seem safe for everyday use, it’s possible that even infrequent exposure can lead to severe reactions. Phenol, for example, is a main ingredient in cleaning products including Spin-n-Span and Lysol—it’s also been linked to heart and circulatory system damage and respiratory, liver, kidney and eye problems.
And phenol is just the beginning—many cleaners and disinfectants include harmful components such as formaldehyde, petroleum solvents, triclosan and butyl cellosolve, an ingredient in many all-purpose and glass cleaners that’s been linked to kidney, bone marrow, liver and nervous system damage.
IS IT REALLY CLEANING YOUR FLOORS?
Many floors have natural cracks, crevasses and breaks—and that’s where germs, bacteria and even pests can hide. Keep cleaning your floors and, chances are, you’ll only make the problem worse—cleansers and water can easily work their way into the cracks, fueling growths even more.
ARE YOU MAKING PETS SICK?
If you’re in a vet’s office or any other space that welcomes pets and other animals, disinfecting your floor can be causing them serious harm. Many common cleaners are not pet-friendly—according to the Pet Poison Helpline, these products are the sixth most toxic item for dogs. And topping that list? Bleach and phenol-based disinfectants.
Not only are these products harmful when pets consume them, but they can do serious damage when animals simply walk on the floors. Ammonia, chlorine, glycol ethers and formaldehyde has been linked to everything from anemia to cancer to lung damage in animals. Bleach is an alkali and can easily erode a dog or cat’s paw pads. What’s more, phenol can be absorbed through a cat’s skin—and even a small amount can lead to illness or, even, death.
The simple solution? Everlast® Epoxy flooring. Our floors don’t require the same level of care or cleaning as other floors—simply mop with detergent and water and floors are good to go. With a non-porous surface, floors are easy to clean with less effort and no harmful disinfectants. And because they’re seamless, dirt, bacteria and other grime won’t seep in, ensuring floors are completely clean with no stubborn messes hiding behind. Contact us to learn more and get a free quote for your business.